Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Carb Me Baby

Hello, my name is Kristen, and I am a carbo-vore. Bread, pizza, crackers? Anything carby, savory, and fluffy? Yes please. Fact: I've been known to eat half my weight in pasta from time to time. So imagine my dismay when I came to the realization that there's a high probability that I have a (wait for it) gluten intolerance. UGH. I won't get into the nasty, but it's not pleasant. For the past year or so, I've been a little suspicious of the aftermath which follows consuming a yummy carbolicious meal, but it wasn't until our intern, whose sister has Celiac, suggested I maybe-perhaps-might possibly-if you squint and tilt your head to the right have a gluten intolerance. Wah!

Okay, it's not that dramatic. I just really enjoyed my whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas everyday for breakfast. But you'd be amazed at all the things you can do with oatmeal! People, do you know how many foods contain wheat gluten? Pretty much everything. Fortunately, I don't have to eliminate everything. Just the good stuff.. like bread.

And thus we come to the real issue at hand. I want to shove my face in a fresh hot loaf of French bread right now. Maybe with a side order of pizza. And mac and cheese for dessert. Yeah, I said it. I am having a major carb craving of epic proportions (said as I sit here eating a pile of M&M's for lunch.. calories canceled out by this morning's run, duh).

I knew it would happen eventually. The minimalist approach to carb consumption is making me sad, in a way that all the fruit in the world just can't console me right now. Although there's definitely something to be said for gluten free goods. I've had a VERY tasty GF roll at Tryst Cafe and majorly yummy shrimp pasta at North Fattoria Italiana, so all is not lost. But alas, I don't have any of these things right now. Just a plum and a banana and the hopes that my mom made something really satisfying for dinner. Enjoy your potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment