Thursday, July 21, 2011

Quarter Life Semi-Crisis

Let me start by saying, if you are in your mid-twenties and you have a wonderful and secure job (er, career), I envy you. But, if you are reading this at 11:33am on a Thursday morning, you don't, and I feel comforted by our mutual bond.

Let me also say, no university course prepares you for actually graduating from their comfy confines of MWF or TR classes, research papers, and midterms. What does THAT prepare you for? A life spent in the library? Perhaps. Post-college, most of us are left wandering around, aimless and hopelessly grabbing for anything that will give us some sense of stability. Some of us (me, ugh) eventually end up moving back in with the 'rents for a couple years.. all with one goal: find a job and GET OUT.

So here I am, an alumni. I have weathered that storm. I'm supposed to be gainfully employed, have my dream job, be financially secure, maybe own my own home, be getting married next year. That's where I saw myself in five years. Where am I really? Suffering my quarter life crisis of sorts. I have a crappy part time job at some office doing work that is far below my potential level, I am living paycheck to paycheck, and I don't even have a stable relationship.. but at least I don't live with my parents anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment